Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Things I Love and Wish I'd Known


Now that I've had a few days to unpack and really get a feel for our rig, somethings I love and some I wish I'd known.  Hence, the really long post! 

In spite of these first few days, being chaotic due to the disarray, I LOVE MY NEW HOME!  Getting it organized and making it a home is a chore, but each accomplishment fuels the momentum.  Some things will take time, like decorating and adding our touch to it, but I have already found a little miracle by 3M.  Command strip hook thingys.  Yes, that's their official name. They're the hooks that stick to the wall without nailing. They work! They REALLY WORK!  Right now, only Kylee's Glow Station benefits from their magnificence, but I have large living room wall screaming for artwork, which is now a sure thing!

There's so much to love.  The little details add to the appeal, like track lighting under the bathroom sink (great for middle of the night visits), the keyless entry (walks with keys), and the outside propane connector for the grill.  The detailed woodwork makes it prettier and more homey and the hidden spice rack was the icing on my cake!  The ginormous pantry gets me all giddy inside and the solid wood is a blessing since we have a live in product tester (our 4 yr old bundle of energy) - durability is priceless. I love having a real table instead of the flip up kind, on a skinny fold down stick, that wiggles more than Kylee.  The abundance of storage has been invaluable.  Did I mention I am really impressed by the insulation.  The howl of the wind lulled me to sleep the night before last, while I lay toasty and warm in my draft free home on wheels.  She was tested again last night when the temps dipped into the 30's.  Cozy inside!




Now onto what I wish I'd known. Capacity.  Oh my word, where did all this STUFF come from!?  That little bitty Uhaul!?  Impossible!  Right?  Wrong.  I am astonished by the capacity of that little trailer.  It looked small and sad back in DE, but as I've spent the last few days trying to find homes for all that it transported, it may have been too big (still can't believe I'm saying that) as I've given away several MORE boxes of stuff.  I wish I had known about the uhaul's 5X8 size parameter before packing.  It would have been helpful in prioritizing what goes and what doesn't.  Instead, I packed too much and hoped for the best.  

On the flip side, I've found that these rigs have compartments, cubbies, and storage EVERYWHERE!  I plan to use every square inch, to which Kyle continues his mantra about weight or something.  It's a wonder I haven't given that man a heart attack as he watches ever more stuff get shoved here, there, and everywhere.  Certainly, I've caused a headache or two, but I have Advil and a cute smile for that.  He can't resist my smile, especially when I'm goofy. 

It would have been nice to have sat in our rig before we bought it, but dealers don't really stock the 43 footers.  If we had been so fortunate, I would have known I can't reach the fantastic fan and added the switch and I could've measured for storage units. Since that wasn't the case, I've made the best of the shelving available locally from the Family Dollar (except the one I'm ordering for my closet).  I also wish I had taken a writing class and many photography classes. Guess I'll have to settle for a couple of Idiot's guides.

Mommy's little helper.



 

 




Not bad. Not bad at all!










All in all, our rig is perfect for our family.  We couldn't be happier with our new home, or our new location in the Smoky Mountains.  Happy Trails!


2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, online anyway! Have a great time. Hopefully our paths will cross one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you as well. I hope our paths do cross; we're excited to meet other families living this dream. Until then, happy trails.

    ReplyDelete