Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Carpe Diem!

I enjoyed visiting my family for a month, while Kyle took care of some business in DE.  It was good to see everyone and catch up and especially fun for Kylee when Ezra (my nephew) stayed over in the house truck.  As much as I enjoyed it, it's good to be back out on the road.  Things are getting organized and we're more mindful of our clutter.  Kyle and I are trying to be conscious and eliminate it; Kylee seems oblivious to her messes, which just makes it feel more like home.


The doubts about our decision have disappeared amidst nature walks, the beauty that surrounds us, time with Kylee, reading, and cooking!  It's exciting to have time to do the things I enjoy.  And I have been taking full advantage and cooking up a storm: chicken-butternut tagine, roasted root vegetables with cumin and coriander, Mediterranean barley salad, morning glory muffins, and coconut pancakes with an orange-mango compote.  I experimented (that's not typical of my OCD personality) with chocolate cupcakes by adding some leftover mint and, according to Kyle, they were quite tasty.  I've been too chicken to try them.  ;o)

I even made my first pie!  Though I started to have a meltdown when it started running all over my baking sheet, it didn't take long to gain my composure and realize it didn't matter that the crust needed to be redone.  Kylee and I had fun making it and it tasted great (which always helps).   

The biggest reward is family time, closely followed by travel.  Visiting all of these places makes us want to get out and explore.  Even if it's just a trail walk or stroll in a new downtown.  Every place is unique in it's own way with it's own character and flair and, my favorite, it's own bounty of wildlife, which, so far, has been amazing birds.  In the 3 weeks since we left Delaware, I've seen a couple of bald eagles (always exciting and impressive), four different woodpeckers (downy, red-bellied, red-headed, and pileated), a few red tailed hawks (one of which sat there while we checked him out), my first osprey, brown pelican and wood stork.  I have loved every minute of it.  Wildlife is by far what evokes the most enthusiasm from me, but the charm and history of each place has it's own appeal with unique architecture, varied plant life, and culinary experiences.  





On the lookout for gators.

Our first gator sighting!





I thought orange trees were bigger ;o)












Along with each new place are new experiences for Kylee.  Just this week we went to an agricultural museum that had a general store from 1890, a sawmill from 1770 and a cracker house from 1880. Crackers were self sufficient settlers of Florida labeled such because of the crack of their whip as they rounded up their cattle.  We also visited the education center at Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (which makes it easy to understand why locals call it the GTM NERR).  This sure will make homeschooling easier as each place sparks questions in her inquisitive little mind.  We even squeezed in a Bible lesson at the Ag museum.  The guide was telling us how the Florida Cracker Cattle are an endangered species; farmers prefer other breeds since this one is skinny.  Kylee looks up at me and says,"Skinny cows eat fat cows."  I was thrilled that she remembered Pharoah's dream and her interpretation made me smile with amusement as I explained that it was actually a warning from God.  Skinny cows do not actually eat fat cows.

Cracker House

Back view of the Cracker House
The old time well.
Skinny Cows
The Cracker horse was Kylee's favorite.
Inside the Cracker House 
Old General Store
 
GTM Education Center


Inside the education center


Love those moments with her as I see the world from her perspective and she gets excited about learning something new.  Happy that those moments are becoming more frequent.  We've been relishing this new lifestyle.  Can't wait for the new adventures that await us!

No comments:

Post a Comment